Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Charleston Construction Defects Lawyer
Get In Touch Today 843-277-0013
Charleston Construction Defects Lawyer / Blog / Car Accident / Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents in South Carolina

Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents in South Carolina


Car accidents are traumatic and it is natural to feel confused afterward. You may wonder how long it will take to recover from the serious injuries you suffered, and how you will pay your medical bills if you cannot return to work right away. It is natural to have questions and to obtain the full compensation you deserve, you need answers. Below, our Daniel Island personal injury lawyer outlines the questions we most frequently hear, and the answers to them.

What Should I Do After a Car Accident?

 The steps you take after an accident can greatly strengthen your case. The most important steps to take include:

  • Call 911 to send police and ambulance to the scene. Follow through with any medical treatment recommended by the paramedics and tell the police everything you remember about the crash.
  • Exchange names, contact information, and insurance information with all other drivers involved.
  • Take pictures and video footage of the overall accident scene, the damage to any vehicles, and your injuries.
  • Notify your insurance company of the crash, even if it was not your fault.
  • Contact a Daniel Island personal injury lawyer.

Should I Keep Any Records After the Crash?

 You should retain all records related to the accident in the days, weeks, and months following a crash. These can help prove your case and they may include:

  • Photos taken at the scene
  • Police reports
  • Insurance claims
  • Pay stubs proving loss of income
  • Medical bills
  • Documentation regarding the medical treatment you are receiving
  • A pain journal indicating the severity of your injuries and progress made

How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim?

 Generally speaking, you have three years from the date of the crash to file a lawsuit for your injuries. In most cases, if you do not file your claim within this time, you will lose your legal right to claim any compensation at all.

What Types of Compensation Can I Receive After a Crash? 

When filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit, you can recover financial compensation for your injuries, and for any loss you suffered. The most common types of damages in car accident claims are medical expenses, lost income, property damage, and pain and suffering.

How Long Will My Car Accident Claim Take? 

No one can determine how long any car accident claim will take, as it depends on many factors. If there were multiple drivers involved or the other side is trying to blame you for the crash, it may take longer than if fault is very clear and no one is claiming that you were to blame for the accident.

Should I Speak to a Personal Injury Lawyer in Daniel Island? 

It is always important to speak to a Daniel Island personal injury lawyer after an accident. At Fuller Law Firm, our experienced attorney can advise on the facts of your case, prove the nature and severity of your injuries, and help you obtain the maximum settlement that is rightfully yours. Call us today at 843-277-0013 or contact us online to schedule a consultation and to get your questions answered.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn